Dear Parents and Guardians,
Welcome to a wonderful year at Jefferson Elementary School! Both Tiffani Schley (counselor here at Jefferson for the past eight years) and Sara Schultz (counselor at Franklin Elementary for five years and joined Jefferson last year) are the school counselors at Jefferson Elementary this year again. We are so happy to be a part of such a wonderful school and community! We feel that it is important to let parents/guardians know about our role at school and how we can work together.
Our role is to ensure that ALL students experience a positive environment, so they can reach their full academic, social and emotional potential. We help educate students to become responsible members of our community through: developmental classroom guidance, small groups, and individual counseling.
- DEVELOPMENTAL CLASSROOM GUIDANCE: We teach in your child’s classroom weekly or bi-weekly (depending on the grade) for 30-45 minutes.
- SMALL GROUPS: Small groups are typically formed based on needs that are noticed by teachers, parents, and/or ourselves. Groups may also be formed based on needs identified with the PBIS data our school staff are collecting.
- INDIVIDUAL COUNSELING: Children may meet with us for a wide variety of reasons from friendship quarrels to decision making to organization. These sessions may be a one-time situation, become more regular sessions, or as needed.
Below are some topics (but not limited to these) that we assist our students, families and staff with:
- Behavior management
- Academic success
- Anger management
- Healthy Relationships
- Social skills
- Organizational skills
- Junior High transition & preparation
- Assertiveness skills
- EXCEL (Gifted & Talented)
- Protective Behaviors and Safety
- Family change
We will also reach out to you through:
- HOMELINKS: One-page worksheets that restate the skill/s that we are teaching during your child’s developmental classroom guidance.
- NEWSLETTERS: This may highlight important happenings within our school counseling program or provide you with helpful information.
- WEBSITE: This can be found by going to the Jefferson Elementary Homepage and clicking on the header “School Counselors”. We will be continuing to develop this page throughout the year so check back often. You can also get to our website by going to the following link: http://jefferson.manitowocpublicschools.org/school_counselors
As school counselors, we are here to make your child’s school experience the best it can be. Many times when a student sees either of us, it is for help with a minor school issue. But please be aware that if your child is experiencing something more significant, we will contact you. Please feel free to contact us with any concerns or questions. We are happy to help in any way we can. Working together with you is extremely important to us.
Your Jefferson School Counselors,
Tiffani Schley (Mondays, Tuesdays, and rotating Wednesdays)
Sara Schultz (Rotating Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays)
T: (920) 663-9392